Cyren report shows 73 percent increase in PayPal phishing URLs
Phishing attacks continued to be prominent in the first quarter of 2014, including the traditional targets of PayPal and Apple, as well as a disturbing new wave of attacks using residential IP address space and personal computers to install and host phishing sites.
A few other notable findings in the report are:
- a new and improved version of Android “notcom” malware has resurfaced;
- spam levels continued to drop;
- spam topics focused on pharmaceuticals and jobs, with particularly creative ways to sell new diet aids;
- FIFA World Cup Soccer spam is hitting inboxes in increasing quantities; and
- Western Europe led the way this quarter, generating almost 1/5th of the world’s spam.